>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

New Treatment Staff- advice?

Subscribe to New Treatment Staff- advice? 18 posts, 7 voices

Login to reply

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

Join the “WTF?” club, Turnkey, prznboss and Sergeant Major.

Mick and others have posted questions about moderators (or the lack thereof) in past posts and there has been no response. It looks like everything here is on automatic pilot.

Flag shakey 191 posts

No Przboss, it has nothing to do with your post, What i do for shits and giggles is post a little ad for my own Hot Sauce company everytime a spammer jumps on here. And like Mudflap said don’t take everything I Write personal or to serious for that matter because lifes to short and everthings fun and games for me untill the need to be serious matters. And I have been carring a badge long to know the difference between the two.

Now that I got that out of the way,, please don’t my grammer skills to serious either.

Halloween 2 Turnkey 9 posts

I must consider leaving here if there I can’t be sure what I say isn’t going to be used against me(us). Sorry all but I am ticked.

This community is far too important not to have moderators. We talk about very serious, important and in some cases sensitive stuff. I really can’t believe there are no moderators. I have to trust this site to be secure. Am I the fool here or are we all being taken?

Sgm Sergeant Major 53 posts

Seems to me that there are no moderators on these forums to get rid of spammers. It’s frustrating to all of us that use them.

Don’t take that particular post from Shakey personal, prznboss. I didn’t think you were addressing him and I’m sure he didn’t, either. Methinks he wrote that with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.

Northwest hounded police animated avatar 100x100 90714 prznboss 44 posts

Shakey, by “overseeing” I’m referring to is someone in charge of operating the filter that keeps the spam entries out. Not sure how you got order out of that, nor am I sure how you thought I was referring to you.

That order wasn’t from a moderator, was it?

Flag shakey 191 posts

What do you mean "Is there not anyone that oversees these forums " heck I just got a order from Wyoming.

Is there not anyone that oversees these forums????

Obviously not, prznboss, and it’s a shame. It’s also frustrating that I have to click separately on each new post to clear it. Does anyone know if there is a magic button that will mark all unread posts as being read?

Northwest hounded police animated avatar 100x100 90714 prznboss 44 posts

Is there not anyone that oversees these forums????

Flag shakey 191 posts

Don’t buy this crap, stick with SHAKEYJAKES HOTSAUCE better tasting than “Joker strap christian louboutin pumps” or “Bowknot snakeskin hermes wen pointed shoes”.

Female user DATS168 8 posts

Thanks for your input. I am learning new things all the time. I do watch both COs and treatment staff and how they interact with the inmates. I’ve been fortunate enough to work with a variety of staff right now and am learning alot from their different styles. I am asking many for feedback and most say they feel I am doing well. I know there is much to learn and I especially like talking to security staff because I learn so much from them.

12517963451487469754us department of justice seal svg hi CHZBURGR 29 posts

Fortunately one way or another we have all been the new guy. I have been the new guy a couple of times I have been a corrections officer a probation and parol officer and a counselor in a male TC. You have the security staff to gain the respect of as well as the programs staff. It is important to be yourself if being yourself doesn’t work in the correctional environment then perhaps you shouldn’t be there. Anyway be yourself watch the officers and the way they interact with offenders watch the treatment staff and see how they interact and find a style that works for you. Mainly to succeed inside the walls you need to be firm fair and consistent always with everyone and you will have a great time.

Glad I could help. A couple more very important pieces of advice. If you say your going to do something-DO IT. That doesn’t mean you have to put down other things to get it done. Sometimes it just isn’t important enough. You may have to do it another day or put the task onto someone else. Just let the inmate know what is going on. You will get alot of co-operation from them if they know you as a straight shooter. Also, don’t lie to them. They know more about what goes on than you think so trying to pull one over them may (probably will) backfire in your face. Treat them with respect. I know that will get alot of old timers rolling their eyes but it is true. If you ask/tell them things respectfully and politely they will respond better to you. Once they stop giving you the same treatment back (and it will happen eventually), you can treat them like pieces of sh&t for the rest ot the time you deal with them. It will be their fault that you treat them like that and you can remind them of it always. Good luck in your life as a CO.
Play smart, play safe, and play hard!

Thank you- good advice. I agree about shortcuts. You are right that what you learn at the training academy is very different than what you see in day-to-day operations. This week I worked with a couple COs that were excellent. I really respect the approach they used with the inmates and I do think they are like-minded. I talked to them for awhile and they were more willing to offer helpful answers and their views than the staff I have been working with. I really wanted this so it is hard to be treated as an outsider, but as you said, I guess the trust and respect from them will come in time.

Welcome to life in the joint. as you have found out, the relationship between CO’s is much harder than that with inmates (inmates will always behave like inmates) I have been pounding the floor for 21 years and have learned alot about staff interaction. I always advise new CO’s to forget everything they were taught out in the fancy schools and learn from the inside. Keep your eyes and ears open! Forget about offering your opinion because the staff won’t respect you and your knowledge yet. Follow the actions of staff and find one who seems to have the work ethic you were trying to develop. Ususally you can approach these officers because they will think like you and be willing to show you how it’s done. DO NOT use short cuts which will develop into bad habits. You will not get any respect from anyone that way! You must know how to operate within the walls properly and safely first. You can slowly make changes to your routine as you deem them necessary later in your career. Stay the line and protect each other always!

I am a new (female) employee in a correctional facility that houses male and female inmates. I work with the male inmates in a therapeutic community setting as a drug and alcohol counselor. I have worked in mental health agencies for years and have also worked both inpatient and outpatient D & A treatment. I was excited to get the position because I wanted something challenging where I could learn new things. I have 2 questions: 1) What is the best advice anyone gave you when you were new to working in corrections? 2) Did you find that staff had trouble welcoming in and mentoring new staff? (It seems new staff have to prove themselves.) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am asking my co-workers for feedback too. Thanks!

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015