>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Physical Conditioning?

Subscribe to Physical Conditioning? 56 posts, 27 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 135 posts

Irish Assassin, The people I see at WM seem to be many of the same people I see at the jail so I have felt them before! Yikes!!!

Female user Vasilisa 6 posts

What is DR&C???

Update:

I made it through the academy. What I learned… RUN!

If you cannot run, jog at a slow pace. Jog slower than a walk if you have to, but push the hell out of yourself to not stop. Not stopping seems to be the key, along with focusing on your breath. I started out doing “one one” inhale counts through the nose and “two two” exhale through mouth rhythmic breathing. An old friend who ran told me that rhythmic breathing is best… well…. not for me. It mimicked hyperventilation cause my ability to keep rhythm apparently blows, and that’s why I almost died.

What I changed that worked, is forcing a slow long continuous inhale through the nose, and a slow long continuous exhale out the mouth. No rhythm or science to it. As you go it will shorten itself, but keep focusing on keeping it long and deep. It fixed me! Not bullshitting around! I ran a mile and a half without stopping with no chest pains. Three months prior and just prior to changing the breathing, I felt like I was gonna pass out jogging a half mile.

I’m about to start again, asap. I’ve done nothing the last month. I’ve been decompressing and tweaking about field training. Time to start running again :)

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Troxyphen elite for me.

Horn toad Transporter 41 posts

Is anyone here besides me using THRIVE? I love the stuff! I was introduced to it by a local PD guy who closely resembles the Incredible Hulk. lol VERY into fitness. Gives me TONS of energy and I am losing weight, which I def need to do! Lost 6 pounds in one week and have so much energy I can’t sing the praises of the stuff enough! Not intended to be a commercial, but I do sell it as a promoter and you can see a short video and visit my website at www.dwmeeks.le-vel.com. I kid you not guys…This stuff is a game changer!

Been a long time since I was here! Lots of stuff happened to and for me while I was away! Back in transport now! Only out for 4 years due to an unfortunate “verbal disagreement” with a ranking officer. LOL He got fired eventually and here I am BACK BABY! LOL

For those that are in DR&C, you know who you are. Be prepared for next years “USD”, whole new ballgame. May want to start crunches and jogging now…

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

BAZOOKA !!!!!!!

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Yeah you will have freaks who yell bomb in the airport just to get fisted.

Have you seen most of the people in Walmart? Would you really want to touch some of those “interesting” ones all day long? Go to work for the TSA that way you can do cavity searches in secret rooms.

It’s a neck fusion from an altercation w/2 inmates in “97”. No not 1897!! I decided that rather than take the 30k pay cut to take the pension I’d keep working until: 1) I die 2) My 10 yr old convinces me to buy her a horse 3) My wife admits she desires me other than every other Friday!! 4) Walmart hires me as a greeter but allows me to pat search everyone coming and going!!!

Flag1 1 shakeyjake 112 posts

Hey wait a min, wasn’t I suposed to call to something if you didn’t retire at your last said date?. I was looking thru my back logs and couldn’t find it. Sorry to hear you won’t be retiring :) and hope you surgery goes well

I work in a Jail, I only have to run 100 feet, where is the inmate going? But I do wonder about hiring 5’ 8" 350lb whatever the sex? I’m 6’ 4" 270lb can’t run anymore at my age, but damn I can shoot. 7 soon to be 8 surgeries (neck fusion) decided not to retire but if you don’t hear from me after the 28th then you will know the neck fusion didn’t go well. Maybe this blowhard should retire?

As they say… No pain, no gain

Female user Vasilisa 6 posts

Hey I know this is an old topic. I just wanted to contribute since I am going through this right now in Fl. Every agency is different, but mine is a little lax on physical requirements. The CERT team does regular training, but the other officers don’t get much. The agency does instruct in DT in their own way when you’re new though. Many of the officers that have been there a while are very very big. I honestly cannot imagine them running at all.

As far as the academy I’m attending, we have either two hours of PT twice a week or one hour every day. It’s cross-fit. Lots of push-ups, sit ups, squats and running. We had to do a mile and a half Indian run the other day (running in formation taking turns sprinting from back to front). I’ve always thought I was in pretty good shape… I’m 5’4" and weigh 135lbs, and have stayed active up until about a year ago when I got in a relationship and lazy. Not blaming the relationship! I know it’s my fault! Running has always been my major weakness and I’ve avoided it since high school like the plague, cause I’ve always been so embarrassed. I get winded so easy. I can dance for hours, do yoga for hours, or whatever, but running just whoops my ass. Needless to say, the Indian run about killed me, but I did it, barely… and I wanted to die I was so embarrassed. I don’t like being the weakest in a group at anything. I do fine with all the other exercise, it’s just my breathing with the running. I feel like I’m gonna pass out, even when I get the rhythmic breathing going. Running sucks.

SOOOO…. my best advice to anyone worrying about physical training. Start cross-fit, focus on push-ups, sit-ups, squats, a little weight training, and for gawds sake RUN! Get your endurance up. It takes time to build endurance and the academy doesn’t give much time. A classmate suggested an app called Couch to 5k or something like that and it looks good and is free. It’s interval training… the interval training supposedly builds endurance the fastest.

Hope that helps, and pray for me lol

Male user Markus2287 4 posts

I’ve done p90x a couple of times. I had INCREDIBLE results. Ill send you before and after pictures if anyones interested in real results. Its extremely difficult but well worth it.

Hahahaha and there it is! One of the better ideas I’ve heard yet.

Flag shakey 191 posts

Better yet, stay fit till you get the senority to get a gravey job, then…….oops just got some mustard on my shirt.

Absolutely, until that time you desperately need to be 100% and you don’t go home to your family.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

I myself am one of those people. I used to be in prime shape but after getting married and settling down with a woman who can cook better than any ritzy chef I have paid way too much money for one meal. I have sadly put on a bit too much weight. I can feel it I do not have the speed I once had though I have yet to lose strength. I am however when I am not getting froze all the damn time going to use the gym membership I have. I know excuses excuses. I just have had bigger priorities in my life then myself. This is probably what happens. Things change. Going to the gym take a back seat to plays and baseball games. Because let’s be honest just like it takes a different kind of person to work in a prison it takes a different kind of person who really truly wants to spend 10-15 hours a week in the gym to be in peak physical condition when not being at 100% still gets the job done.

Don’t ever apologize for having pride in what you do and not wanting to be misrepresented by slobs! There absolutely should be a physical requirement for corrections, lives depend on being able to respond quickly and efficiently.

Male user felonh8r 1 post

I agree. We have too many officers that are complacent, lazy, or just dont care that let themselves get fat that I wouldnt want backing me up. Its bad when we hire people that are out of shape to begin with and they just get bigger and bigger as time goes on. Of course we cant get rid of them because then they would sue us for “discrimination”. I am a strong proponent of having an annual physical fitness test and if you cant pass, find another line of work. I think there is nothing more embarrassing than a 300 pound officer rolling out of their vehicle at the local stop and rob to get a super-sized coke and a bag of junk food to take to work. How can the public respect us and take us seriously if we have people like that representing us. Sorry I got on a rant.

There are usually exceptions to the rule. A disease and or injury should fall under special circumstances and allow the staff member to recover and give them plenty of time to get back into shape. Barring that the staff member doesn’t just malinger and use it as an excuse.

What I’ve seen is a complete and total lack of any type of physical conditioning, this job is not for soft jelly-bellied people. When the excuse is given that “I don’t have time” or “I’m too busy” all I’ve got to say is B*LLSHIT! Find the time or change your habits, either that or find another job. Injuries and illnesses, “I have a bad back/knee/spleen” hey guess what join the club we’re all getting older by the minute. I’ve had my fair share of surgeries, but I’m still at the gym every other day and doing cardio at home on the opposite days. I have children and work OT, yet I manage to get it in. What’s your excuse now?

Untitled Slim 57 posts

Good luck with your treatment Transporter. Hope you are feeling well soon.

I guess I should point out the reason I was saying that in the post. lol I can’t do much in the way of major physical output right now due to the fatigue caused by the chemo. I get winded climbing stairs. It is a good thing that I transferred to Classification about 6 months before I was diagnosed. Not alot of physical stuff other than “pushing” paper in here!

Crap Jamestown! I’d be fired in a heartbeat these days. OK…Maybe they would give me a little slack. I was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer back in October of 2011. Since then it has been radiation, chemos, surgery, and now MORE chemo. I finish my treatment at the end of August (Lord willing.) and should be able to begin the REAL rehab then. The chemo drains my strength. I can forget about eating healthy since I am very limited in what I can eat (if I wanna keep it down! lol) I work 4 10 hour days if I can make it through the whole day. Luckily I had tons of sick time built up over my 8 years of working here. Docs say they got 100% of the cancer and there was no spread to lymph nodes or any other areas of my guts. I will make a complete recovery and be back to my old loveable fuzzball self within a few weeks of ending treatments. lol

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015