Performs a wide variety of professional level budget analysis and development duties involving the preparation, administration, maintenance, review and control of the Jail Services Bureau's budget; maintain specialized financial records and statistics and prepare financial reports; provide consultative services to bureau management staff; perform related duties as assigned.
- Gathers, assembles, and formats data and prepares preliminary analysis for budget preparation; assists in preparation and presentation of preliminary and final budget documents; prepares budget presentation materials; maintains data and systems for budget tracking and reporting and generates reports; assists section/division with issues related to funds availability, fund transfers and budget compliance; prepares and participates in the preparation of the Bureau's annual budget, including analysis and estimates of expenditures; analysis and projections of revenue; recommendations on allocations of funds, personnel and account coding.
- Reviews all contract and grant proposals and related documents for compliance with policies and procedures. Negotiates terms and conditions that are acceptable to both parties, monitors progress, and handles all necessary reporting;
- Conducts feasibility studies and cost/benefit analyses on modifications to existing or proposed processes to support budget requests:
- Reviews, analyzes, and recommends to management organizational policy and procedures for department operations; participates in the development of new or revised programs, systems, procedures, and methods of operations.;
- Develops funding strategies;
- Approves purchases and manages funds;
- Analyzes statistical and operational data to provide recommendations for improvement;
- Develops and presents analytical reports;
- Develops revenue and expenditure forecasts related to long term plans and initiatives;
- Analyzes and evaluates requests from Bureau personnel for changes in budget allocations throughout the fiscal year in such areas as staffing levels, facilities, systems, and equipment; coordinates and consults with other department personnel and other departments; makes recommendations for changes.
- Monitors and reviews impacts of projects and changes.
- Assists the Bureau Management Team in the performance of the essential functions of their positions;
- Performs related functions as required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a field directly related to accounting or finance required;
- Extensive and varied experience in an analyst or strategic planning position, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required;
- Knowledge of strategic planning;
- Knowledge of accounting, auditing, and budgeting theory, principles, techniques, and procedures;
- Knowledge of the application of governmental accounting, auditing, and budgeting;
- Skill in interpreting policies and explaining complex information in an understandable fashion;
- Skill in effectively communicating verbally and in writing and exercising tact and discretion;
- Skill in making presentations in group settings;
- Skill in prioritizing multiple projects and deadlines;
- Skill in working both independently and as part of a team;
- Skill in the use of database, spreadsheet, and presentation software;
- Skill in analyzing operations and making recommendations;
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
This position has been designated safety sensitive and therefore the incumbent is subject to random drug testing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment and the employee in this class is subject to inside environmental conditions;
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.;
- Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a general office environment to accomplish tasks.