||Corrections Officer (entry level)
||State of Nevada
||Correctional Officers maintain and supervise inmates in state Correctional facilities in a controlled humane environment. This position is at a Maximum Security Prison.
Incumbents perform in a trainee capacity and acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities required in this occupation.
Positions allocated to this class, under close supervision of a higher officer, receive structured classroom and on-the-job training and perform most of the duties described in the series concept. This level provides for semi-automatic progression to the next higher level in this series upon satisfactory completion of the required twelve-month probationary period and approval of the appointing authority.
Ely is a small town in Eastern Nevada known for great opportunities to hunt, fish and participate in outdoor recreational activities.
- High school graduation or equivalent education and two years of work experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An Associate's Degree in corrections, criminal justice, or a closely related field may be substituted for six months of the required journey level experience.
- State of Nevada/FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- Applicants must be able to meet current Peace Officer Standard & Training (P.O.S.T.) requirements as established in the Nevada Revised Statutes and Nevada Administrative Code.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances.
- The Nevada Department of Corrections will not appoint an applicant for employment if they have been convicted of a DUI/DWI within seven years of their written application; or convicted of 2 or more DUI/DWI within their lifetime.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required.
- The Nevada Department of Corrections will not appoint an applicant for employment if they have been terminated for cause (due to a conduct-related situation) from a department of local, state, or federal government.
- The Nevada Department of Corrections will not appoint an applicant for employment if they have been discharged from military service other than honorably.
- Pass a strict annual physical examination in accordance with the provisions of the Heart/Lung Bills.
- Must be a US citizen and 21 years of age and have valid driver's license at time of appointment.
- The Nevada Department of Corrections will not appoint a person to a law enforcement position if they have been convicted of a felony in this State or of any offense, which would be a felony if committed in this state, if they have been convicted of any offense involving the illegal sale or manufacture of controlled substances, if they have been convicted of domestic violence, or they have used any illegal controlled substance within one year of the date of application including prescription drugs not prescribed to them.
- As a condition of appointment and continuing employment, must be willing to work overtime on short notice, as well as weekends and holidays.
- As a condition of appointment and continuing employment must be willing to work variable schedules that may include 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts, must pass all phases of orientation training.
|Additional Online Information:
|| April Witter
Ely State Prison
P.O. Box 1989
4569 N. State Rt. 490
Click to email