This is a series of new icebreakers from Joe Bouchard, a retired 25 year corrections veteran and corrections writer. He wrote these icebreakers for the International Association of Corrections Training Personnel (IACTP). These are a part of over 200 icebreakers Bouchard has written for IACTP since 2007. To learn more about IACTP, please visit www.iactp.org.
Recently, Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College colleague Denise Cadeau and I wrote and presented “Balance and Humor”. Some of the elements of this training were:
We realized that humor is subjective. Also, we needed to take ourselves out of the equation to a degree. This was done in a few steps:
- Looking at balance as taught in various philosophies including the Indigenous Medicine Wheel;
- Problems caused by being unbalanced;
- Strategies to incorporate humor into the workplace in a manner that is light, yet not obnoxious;
- Benefits of incorporating humor into the workplace.
We had an icebreaker in place to address the concept of balance. In fact, it was based on an icebreaker that I wrote in 2017 for IACTP called “Hello, My Name is Problem”. Still, we lacked an icebreaker that addressed humor.
In its original run, “You Think That’s Funny?” introduced such items as a knitted Hannibal Lector doll and the cow bell and the Saturday Night Live video about Blue Oyster Cult mocumentary and the making of “Don’t Fear the Reaper.” Someone even threatened to bring in a mirror and show it to my face. (You see, humor is subjective.)
- With a mass email or some other communications mechanism, give the very broad instruction, “For training on such and such a date, please bring in something that you think is funny.”
- When colleagues ask for more specifics, it is best to simply repeat “bring in something that you think is funny.” The fewer restrictions, the more creativity may flow from the participants.
- On training day, instruct participants to place their funny item on a table at the front of the room.
- Note that the item may not necessarily be something tangible. It could be a story.
- Select a judge (with the integrity of Judge Judy, Judge Ito and King Solomon) to decide which of those items she or he finds most funny. The judge should be given a small gift from the facilitators when accepting the weighty responsibility of selecting the funniest item.
- Announce that there is a prize to the person who brought in the item that the Judge deemed funniest.
- In turn, people come up to the table that holds the funny items. They pick up or describe their item.
- Once the participant describes the item and why they consider it funny, they “pick” a volunteer.
- Participants do this until all have had their say about their selected item.
- The Judge announces which item is the winner.
- The facilitator awards a prize. I have found in an irreverent exercise like this that it is fitting to give a prize bag with gag gifts. Prizes of this level generally match the levity of the exercise.
- If you are of an overly dignified composition or abhor scatology, be careful when you play this game. There may be some entries that make you blush.
The winner came in a three-inch cylinder, not much larger than a half roll of quarters. Inside was a miniature, wooden stool. The label on the container was “Stool Sample.”
Joe Bouchard is a retired corrections veteran and writer with 25 years of experience. At the time of his retirement, he was employed as a librarian by the Michigan Department of Corrections and was collaborator with The International Association of Correctional Training Personnel (IACTP). He is also the author of “IACTP’s Corrections Icebreakers: The Bouchard 101, 2014” and "Operation Icebreakers: Shooting for Excellence" among others. The installments in this series include his opinions. While some material is influenced by other works, all of the icebreakers have been developed by Joe Bouchard.
Most of the facts that are humorous are not funny, I think the best way to know about the fact is the search it on newebest.com/feed/channel/Thoughts, they have the best article that is written and has the best research team.
it's important to bring humor back to the workplace. Hamilton Lindley
Richa content writer believe in delivering the best quality content to fulfill your marketing needs. For content writing services in India, contact us.
Superb Blog Thanks For Sharing Such an Amazing Post. Golden Triangle Tour 3 Days Taj Mahal Tour From Delhi Same Day Agra Tour By Train Taj Mahal Luxury Tour
نيج عراقي sexymasteriraq
Creative Brainweb a best web design company in Faridabad and provides the best designing and development services in very cheap rate. For design an attractive website contact us we are the best web designing company in Faridabad.
To repeat, CBD has a great deal of health and wellness advantages. It might not be authorized by the FDA for medicinal usage, tobacco e juicebut it is still beneficial when it concerns offering remedy for the adhering to health problems: 1. Discomfort Alleviation As far back as 2900 BC, marijuana has actually been utilized partially of the world to ease discomfort. In the last few years, researchers have actually discovered that components of marijuana such as CBD can be used to deal with pain. It functions by regulating the human endocannabinoid system which manages pain, cravings, rest, and also immune functions.cbd oil vape juice 2. Decreasing Anxiousness as well as Clinical Depression One point concerning CBD juice is that it can be used to treat stress and anxiety as well as depression without the negative effects of pharmaceutical medications. Hence, individuals will certainly experience no sleeplessness, anxiety, drowsiness, migraines, and sex-related dysfunction. 3. Reducing Signs of Cancer Cells CBD reduces the signs of cancer cells as well as side-effects of cancer cells therapy such as discomfort, vomiting, and nausea. When made use of together with chemotherapy, it decreases nausea or vomiting and also vomiting. CBD has additionally been discovered to have the ability to eliminate cancer cells and even prevent the spread of the disease in computer mice.best tobacco e juice 4. Minimizing Acne By combating inflammation, CBD cuts the manufacturing of sebum, thus lowering acne. This uses whether the CBD is taken orally, topically, or vaped. It deals with acne by targeting the root cause and is, as a result, much more reliable than other kinds of treatment. 5. Has Neuroprotective Characteristics Due to the truth that CBD has an impact on the human endocannabinoid system, it creates signals in the brain which in the end assistance treat or protect against certain neurological problems. That includes epilepsy, numerous sclerosis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and psychosis. It has been located to have the capability to reduce the incidence of seizures in epileptics. CBD jobs by reducing inflammation which protects against deterioration of the neurological system because of Alzheimer's disease.
great post. i like it. feeling great when reading your post . strike force heroes 3
I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information ExcelR Data Science Course in Pune
I think so because I read the whole blog story so I think that looking more funny in the future. Your opinion also have worth that you can paste it over here. rightnowcleaning
I wanna say thank you for providing very informative things. I feel too good to read it. Such a Great article, Good work and keep sharing. Same Day Agra Tour
I was reading the news and I saw this really interesting topic.... tree service
This is an excellent post