The Academy: Getting Started>>what's your opinion?
We don’t have an agility test, it would disqualify too many 5’5 350lb officer candidates. But we (as a former new hire instructor) understand we are going to lose 30- 60% of new hire in the 1st year. It is the norm in our business. If you are determined to stick it out, get the experience then go look at another county that hires full time with defined shifts. They will hire good experienced people before non experienced...
A chance meeting?: My time with IACTPJoe Bouchard
Sometimes, you never know the great impact that one telephone call might have. Looking back to when I called Bill Hudson, former Michigan Department of Corrections’ Training Director, I realize that this was one of the most influential interactions of my professional life. I had called Bill just to comment on an article that he had written. Little did I know that when I hung up the telephone, I was on the road to a long and fulfilling relationship with a world class corrections training organization...
Also this week:
The Henderson Police Department is currently hiring for Corrections Officer. All testing through National Testing Network (NTN) must be completed by October 4, 2014. Department Overview: The Henderson Police Department is a nationally accredited agency dedicated to providing unparalleled service to the community we represent. We are one of the most technologically advanced agencies in the country. Our vision is to make Henderson the safest city in the country by providing premier police services through innovation and partnerships with our community...
full job posting
- Sep 12, 2014 –Early Education and Treatment for Mental Health, Substance Use Are Essential for Saving Lives
- Sep 14-17, 2014 –International Community Corrections Association (ICCA) 22nd Annual International Research Conference
- Sep 22-25, 2014 –National Association for Justice Information Systems (NAJIS) Conference
- Sep 25-27, 2014 – Midwestern Criminal Justice Association (MCJA) 2014 Annual Meeting
- Sep 28-Oct 01, 2014 – The 2014 Women Working in Corrections and Juvenile Justice National Conference
- Oct 05-08, 2014 – International Association of Correctional Training Personnel Annual Trainers' Conference
- Oct 09-10, 2014 – Breakthrough Strategies to Teach and Counsel Troubled and Incarcerated Youth
- Portland, OR
- Oct 18, 2014 – Building Unity: Saving Lives Restorative Justice Conference
- Oct 18-22, 2014 – National Conference on Correctional Health Care - Las Vegas, NV
- Nov 19-22, 2014 – American Society of Criminology (ASC) Annual Meeting
quote of the week
"Don't quack like a duck, soar like an eagle."
– Ken Blanchard