>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

No lunch breaks?

Subscribe to No lunch breaks? 65 posts, 32 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 135 posts

The state of Ne requires PPCT and we recert annually. When I first started at a state facility in 81 it was Aikido also but no one practiced.We found it too “nice” and ineffective (because few practiced). We love PPCT and a little Krav Maga. At my current facility we are do practice often and take it seriously but even the PPCT system doesn’t cover enough ground work. Just not enough forced cell move and field force live practice.New director is local and former FBI, maybe things will change? Mstly our problem is lack of hiring standards, hiring 350 lb people that are not physically fit is a problem. No wonder we don’t get breaks to eat!! We as correctional officers are still treated as second class Criminal Justice proffessionals by our own collegues in the system,it is irritating!!

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

In NY state a 1/2 hour lunch is required for full time officers. What some of the state officers would do was take their lunch on the unit with them

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Our system is based of the response to resistance continuum. Litle bit of this little bit of that……. Gross motor skills and some aikido based techniques for control mainly.

2 prison systems, 2 jails never had a designated break or lunch break. All were union but evryone of the facilities tried to get a relief officer to get everyone a break. Right DT instructor, on training days we got many breaks. As a DT instructor I tried to give a few breaks but kept most students on task as far as 5 minutes only each hour and 1 hr for lunch. DT what system does your facility teach for Defensive Tactics?

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Been unionized whole career, never once a lunch break. Oh wait! I get lunch breaks, on training days when I put in 8 1/2 hours.

Male user commander 277 posts

Worked over 26 years at Luke and never one time had a lunch break. Other than security get one, we don’t.

I guess no one monitors these forums. That would never happen in our Computer Support group, we just delete them permanently. Anyway I am amazed that Ohio has the legal authority to deny a lunch break after working 6 hours. That might be something that could be challenged by the union and placed as part of the contract proposals. As you said though many times while I was a lunch break a backup was called, we left our lunch on the table went to the call and returned when we could.

Male user commander 277 posts

Sexual Trauma is a head case. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Someone get her an appointment. There are no lunch breaks for security in Ohio. You eat when you get the chance. This contributes to stress and upset stomachs. As soon as you eat, almost to a t, there is an alarm somewhere and you are running to it. No rest for the wicked. Getting back to Sexual Trauma. You need to take a very long extended lunch break and never return.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

I’m confused… scince when are lunch breaks, physical exams and sexual abuse related topics? Please don’t tell me the powers that be are making one seriously screwed up combination.

In New York State as a correction officer or in fact in any job the Department of Labor specifically says you must get a one-half hour lunch break if you work over 6 hours. Failure to comply with the law could result in large fines against the agency or company. Breaks, however are at the discretion of the facility and the Chief Administrative Officer. I do think officers should be given a short break if needed and the manpower allows coverage. Many times when I was a supervisor I made sure every officer on my shift received a break in the morning before lunch. In addition as a supervisor its a good idea for you to visit the block, dorm or tier while the officer is on break or lunch to familiarize yourself with that area, talk to inmates, review log books, etc.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Oh look Looney Toones is back.

41153535 61942244 Igoturback 25 posts

humm

Administrator:
Other posts of Igoturback have been deleted due to abusive language.

Sgm Sergeant Major 53 posts

Oh Brother! and I thought I left all the psychos at work…

Male user Afrobob 18 posts

Is there anyway we can remove this crazed person’s account from this website? I feel mentally ill just reading the bullcrap she’s putting up here. Perhaps she should be locked in a rubber-room somewhere far away from computers and people. I wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to present charges against herself for sexual abuse.

Wow, it’s been a while but I must respond. Sexual_trauma, do you work in corrections and how did you possibly get past the psych testing. No offense but this isn’t the forum for this type of personal subject. The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 is addressing many of the abuse issues in prisons and jails but your comments are not appropriate for this forum. If the issues deals with how we as Correctiosn Proffessionals are conducting ourselves within the scope of our employement but to characterize all Police and Corrections personel the way you have is not applicable to all.

Why do I get the feeling this chick’s default is set to sexual abuse. Maybe you did get molested by your father and maybe that made you crazy. Hence forth, anything and everything that happened to you where anyone touched for any reason, brought you back to that original abuse, thereby making it seem like you were being victimized all over again. Perhaps you should look into getting on some anti-psychotic medications.

Hmmmmm!!!!!!!! Like I said in deep need of Psychological help.

Female user sexual_truama 2 posts

i’m proud and happy to know i was born and raised in Minnesota ha ha ha!!

it’s the freeiest state there is in America and the safest!!

Administrator:
OTHER POST BY sexual_truama have been deleted because of abusive language

Female user sexual_truama 2 posts

oops i mean they do worse physicals in southern states on children not did….i never had a physical in missouri never lived there at that age thank god!!! it happen in Minnesota when i got sexually abused durring a kid phsycal!!!!

Firstly I would like to ask you a couple of Questions. Did you or have you ever made a formal complaint to the Police about your alleged abuse? And if you have what was the outcome?
And after reading your rambling statement my I suggest you seek some psychiatric assistance because you seem to be a very troubled person.

Female user LT. 1 post

Yeah, I work at Emerald Correctional Management Co. I have been there for 3 yrs and havent ever had a 15 min break and or 30 Lunch break, our Jail is very small facility 164 bed facility, and the only ones that get breaks are the Admin people. The Warden goes and gets two trays of food over flowing with food and mean while the ones that work there asses off, get nothing. One of the employees at another facility filed a class action law suit about a year ago and of course nothing has changed just our warden about 4 times and Chief of security. We go thru more guards than underware. More dirty guards than you can image….Wow that place sucks….but with todays economy and jobs being scarce its kind of hard to find anything else. Any advise for anybody other than hang in there???

At Idaho Correctional Center, run by CCA, we work 12 to 16 hour shifts and are not alotted breaks of any sort.

Female user readyset 5 posts

Our shifts are 8.5 hours long and we are paid for 8 hours. I have been there 6 months and have never had a 10 minute break or a dedicated half hour to eat lunch. No one else gets theirs either. I wonder how long it will take for some high powered attorney to file a class action suit and get all the money for those unpaid half hour shifts. Obviously those of us who aren’t getting them are too shy to speak up. You would think some senior officers would do something. Looks like a job for Sokolove law. Too bad they’ll get all the money

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

The joint where I work no longer allows staff to get as much as a hot dog from the chow hall. Budget cuts, ya know.

Male user cat_daddy 3 posts

We don’t have designated breaks of any kind. If we get any type of break we are lucky. Normally you will catch me going to the kitchen to get my chow Im just lucky that I work at a regional facility them state facilities are dirt. Truthfully though beside the mental stress I have always found Corrections to be a fairly easy job so long as I can walk the yard a couple times a day I dont really feel the need to have a break. Only times I really need one is after a 99 and thats normally just to have a smoke and calm down. If you get hungry just carry some bacon in your pocket.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015