>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Alternative to cell extractions

Subscribe to Alternative to cell extractions 11 posts, 7 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 135 posts

Over the years because our cells have fixed seats and desk we have developed a 3-4 man entry. This maximizes the limited floor space and O2 availability(just joking).When I was a CERT leader I didn’t usually pick the largest CO for entry, usually the stocky ones we could see over and the ones who drooled the most:-) Sometimes the female officers were the most efficient at taking them down, don’t know why, I didn’t ask but they were particularly focused on technique!

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Gotta agree with Irish here. Best case scenario is they get talked out. When that fails O.C., pepperball and stingballs. If that doesn’t get the job done then someone has to go get them. Problem is when you get into confined space with a combative inmate things go a bit sideways sometimes. It is a nasty business we are in at times, guess that’s why we get paid the big $…..

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Peer pressure is a motivator but when the other inmates see the aftermath they are unlikely to follow in the fools footsteps. I just don’t know we follow the same steps every time so inmates usually call it quits when the OC canister comes out. Most of the time its manipulation just to see what they can get out of mental health or the soft admins and supervisors.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

That’s a fact. Usually they want to see how far they can take it, other inmates cheering them on doesn’t help either.

With you Irish, most of the time they don’t give us any other option but 3.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Option one, you talk them out. Option two, gas em till they puke and give up. Option three, Go in full throttle and do the dirty work by hand.

Several agencies have used canine assistance and other methods with mixed results. Best way is getting them to comply without force, but to much dismay of the modern era bleeding hearts the old school goon squad is still the most effective and used method.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Well sadly if an inmate holds up in a cell it’s because they are either very bored and want attention or to break up the boredom. The second reason is they have an issue whether it is something that needs addressed or something they feel needs addressed they want it handled at this very moment. The third is if they just like the cell and don’t want to move for whatever reason. Any of these reasons are worth fighting for. They already know hardship is coming their way if they choose to draw a line in the sand. There will always be a debate over what is the best way to get them to comply. If it’s a simple issue the easiest way is to deal with the issue then they do whatever you need done. If they are bored they will keep at it till things get serious and are no longer fun. If they do not want to move they probably have a reason. The best way is to talk to the inmate in a low and slow manner no matter what and 9 out of 10 times it can be taken care of easily and without force. That 10% that you have to force your way in OC has worked best for us and when OC is deployed 9 out of 10 give up. So about 1 out of 100 end with us going in on an inmate at my camp. I do not see how CO2 would help or change anything.

Male user Fresh50 3 posts

Mick and Dave are right on. The use of force technique has developed into the best method to move inmates from their cell. Use of less than lethal force is always an option, when an inmate is armed or a threat to staff.

Mick is right, not only the excess CO2 but when the inmate passes out into unconciousness that becomes a life threatening condition. On the way down he could hit his head or othewr vital areas.The cell extraction techniques practiced today are as MIck mentioned have been developed over nearly a century of evolving practice to minimize not only injury to the inmate but also to the officers, that is also very important. The taxpayer is the one who ultimatly pay for anyones injuries.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Dave. There are a couple of problems with that idea. First off it could possibly kill the inmate. Secondly the cell would need to be relatively air tight most cells are not. Some institutions use OC spray to incapacitate an inmate others use an Electric Shield. All extraction techniques currently in use are specifically designed to restrain the inmate with the least chance of causing serious physical harm to the inmate.

Male user 7Dave7 1 post

Hello,
I’m an average citizen who has no experience with prisons, jails or law enforcement. Having watched numerous TV programs about prisons & jails from all over the US, I find all institutions seem to use a group of staff members, heavily armored, to forcibly remove inmates from cells when needed. Naturally, this ties up a lot of staff resources and potentially exposes them to harm. Its been said by many staff that often the inmates force this action out of boredom ( it gives them some attention and excitement in their day).

Has anyone ever thought of the following ?

When a prisoner needs to be extracted from a cell, flood the cell with CO2, which displaces oxygen and causes the prisoner to loose consciousness. Once the prisoner passes out, a couple of staff could remove the prisoner on a restraint board or chair, with no special equipment and no danger of harm to either staff nor to prisoner.

I think those prisoners who create the need of extractions out of boredom would soon stop, once they realize that if they act up, they will simply be rendered unconscious by gas.

I would appreciate hearing from prison / jail industry workers on this suggestion.

Thank you

Dave J.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015