>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Best way to handle unruly inmate

Subscribe to Best way to handle unruly inmate 61 posts, 29 voices

Login to reply

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

I couldn’t help but smile when I read you got the job. Exciting, ain’t it? Congratulations!

Male user charst46 24 posts

Congratuations! Welcome to a wonderful careerfield. There are many challenges: from inmates, fellow staff and administration. But even those do not offset the abiding pleasures and good things that the field can bring you over time.’

Female user cenasgurl23 5 posts

So I got the job! I start on Monday. I will primarily be a correctional officer but I am also in charge of organizing any programs that we might institute (Its a newer facility).

Male user charst46 24 posts

I back mudflap on size does not matter. I have seen several ‘petite’ officers handle situations that a couple of the ‘knuckle draggers’ created. And I have seen several situations where no amount of talking or presence was going to help. Thankfully the ‘knuckle draggers’ were there. I think it takes a range of people to manage a unit: those who can talk to inmates and resolve situations and those who can ‘take care of business’. No one way succeeds all the time.

Good luck on the job interview!

“Size doesn’t matter” so don’t worry about that.

As it’s been said, there are a lot of variables about what action should be taken…. and the same thing goes for “what answer are they looking for” in an interview and there is no way to determine that.

By the way, if you don’t happen to get the job, don’t take it personal and don’t stew over it. I’ve seen plenty of interviews set up when the brass already knows who they want but they have to go through the motions.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your success!

I find out next week…I think I did pretty good…One thing they might consider a weakness is my size (I’m only 5’0’’), although I dont think it would set me back.

O-tay. How long before you know the results of the interview?

mudflap and mick…this is a generic question…i have an interview for a Unit Caseworker position (little different than a CO) on Monday and was just looking for advice from ppl who r already in the position…I think ur answer mudflap will suit just fine….

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement. What might work on one day may not work on another, depending on the circumstances. There have been times where a show of force was the last thing we should have done, but often just getting the inmates separated is good enuff to at least diffuse the situation until other CO’s could get there.

Then, add to the mix that what worked for YOU may not have worked for me. We’ve probably all been in a situation where a CO took control of a situation by doing whatever he/she did, but if a different CO had been there and said the exact same thing in the same tone of voice it wouldn’t have worked.

Is this a generic question, or is there a specific incident you were thinking about?

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

A little more info would make the answer easier.

What is, in your opinion, the best way to handle an unruly inmate. Should show of force be the last result? Is seperating two inmates who have been fighting enough?

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015